Thursday, February 4, 2010

Using the "R" word

a popular subject in the news, has been the situation of Democrat Rahm Emanuel using the phrase "Fucking Retarded" referring to a plan made by fellow democrats. Sarah Palin considered it very offensive, as others might, and took it personally because of her own child's mental health. Palin is stressing the reason for him to resign. Some people think that it was out of hand for him to use the words, but others might think that perhaps she is taking it to far.

As a high school student, I fortunately or unfortunately do not see the big deal in the words.I have gotten used to it. It does not come as much of a shock. I hear one, if not both numerous times a day in the halls, or when friends describe other things, for example "dude that test was fucking retarded." They use the word Retarded in a negative way to describe things they do not agree with. This also reminds me of the saying "that's so gay." That is another one I hear. But I bet if instead of saying "Fucking retarded." Rahm Emanuel had said "fucking gay." I have to say, I don't think Sarah Palin would have as much a problem. In my own opinion she is taking it to far, an apology would be what I would think more appropriate. Sure it was disrespectful, but I seriously think she is exaggerating it because she misses the spot light she got during the campaign. So what do you think about it? comment on this. Especially if you disagree with how I feel, I want a broader view. your opinion matters!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck on that broader view. Those are very sane statements, Ads. Words are blown outta proportion too often...
    *General Agreement*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah Palin just needs to stay in Alaska. Like, forever. We should really clean the place dry of oil, then sell it back to the Russians.

    Being sane again, yeah. She misses the campaign. But at the same time, I would expect Rahm to have accumulated a much higher vocabulary than "f***ing retarded" over the fifty years he's been alive...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rahm's profanity is really unnecessary, but it seems as if our fractious political media moments demand that every little politically incorrect
    episode be blown out of proportion.

    ReplyDelete